Toprol Generic (Metoprolol): Indications, How To Take, Precautions
The drug has proven its effectiveness at the clinical level. The main effects are:
- Lowering of blood pressure;
- Treatment of angina pectoris;
- Normalization of the heart;
- Normalization of the heart rate.
How to take
Each package of Toprol contains the necessary information in a leaflet. It indicates the dosage and methods of taking the drug. Before taking the drug, it is better to consult with your doctor so they can confirm the need for taking the medicine and determines the exact dosage.
Among the characteristic signs of angina pectoris are severe pressing pain in the heart area with a spread to the peripheral parts of the body and palpable fluctuations in pulse and blood pressure. The attack occurs with a sharp physical or psychoemotional load and disappears within 15-20 minutes. Only the attending physician will be able to carry out a differentiated diagnosis and accurately determine the dosage of Toprol.
You should take the drug once a day. The dosage can vary from 25 to 100 mg per day. Please note: the exact dosage can only be determined by the attending physician who knows about the patient’s symptoms.
The dosage can be changed depending on the current condition in order to achieve optimal blood pressure readings. However, it is forbidden to change the dosage yourself. Such a decision can only aggravate the situation and cause undesirable consequences.
The first improvement may already be noticed after a week of regular intake. During the studies of the drug, a dose of more than 400 mg was not tested, so it is impossible to say for sure about the results of taking it.
Attention! If the patient plans to stop taking Toprol, then they cannot quit immediately. At first, you should slightly reduce the dosage, then lower it again and continue so on until the very end. If you abruptly stop taking it, then problems may arise, such as angina pectoris or similar symptoms.
The drug can be prescribed by a doctor based on the patient’s condition. The medicine helps not only with the treatment and prevention of angina pectoris. The main indications are:
- Arterial hypertension: lowering blood pressure and reducing the risk of cardiovascular and coronary death (including sudden death);
- Angina pectoris;
- In complex therapy after myocardial infarction (secondary prevention);
- Cardiac arrhythmias, including supraventricular tachycardia;
- Functional disorders of cardiac activity, accompanied by tachycardia;
- Prevention of migraine attacks;
- Hyperthyroidism (complex therapy).
Generic Toprol in Canada
The medicine for high blood pressure is sold in Canada. In Canada, the manufacturer is Generic. The price depends on the dose and the number of tablets in the package and can reach up to $42.
The drug Toprol entered the market only after thorough testing at the clinical level. The drug was evaluated in leading laboratories in the USA and Canada. During the inspection, it was revealed that the drug is safe. Despite this, it can lead to several possible side effects:
- Problems with the digestive system;
- Dry mouth;
- Decreased libido.
In addition, Toprol can cause more serious side effects:
- Shortness of breath;
- Swelling in the extremities;
- Rapid heartbeat;
- Depression or hallucinations.
If you have one side effect or several at once, then you should consult a doctor.
The drug Toprol has proven its safety with regular use. Despite this, it has contraindications:
- Individual intolerance to one or more components that are part of the medicine. Intolerance can manifest itself as an allergic reaction;
- Low heart rate;
- Heart failure, which proceeds uncontrollably;
- Bronchial asthma in the acute phase;
- Damage to the natural pacemaker of the heart.
The drug is not recommended for people under 18 years of age. Studies in this area have not been conducted, so it is impossible to determine whether the drug is safe for children.
You can take Toprol during pregnancy or when nursing a baby only after consulting a doctor. No research has been conducted in this area, so it is impossible to say for sure whether the drug can harm the fetus or the baby.
In addition, you should consult your doctor if you are taking other medications. Not all medications can interact with each other safely. Particular attention should be paid to other heart medications, asthma and diabetes medications, and various antidepressants.
- Do not exceed the recommended dose. Excessive use of the drug will not alleviate your condition, and can also cause poisoning and serious side effects. If you are aware of an overdose case, contact the hospital. Be sure to take the packaging, container, or name of the drug with you to facilitate the diagnosis.
- Do not give your medications to other people, even if they are in the same condition as you and you think your conditions have a number of similar signs.
- Please consult with your doctor or pharmacist, and also study the information on the product packaging.